I got a call from Alice (Dr. Shaw) last week with some news per my molecular testing. As luck would have it, I was trying out a new edible (delicious, weed flavored lollie) and was starting to feel the effects. I probably should have left my phone untouched but when Alice calls, you pick up.
So I did. And…I was pretty flipping stoned so trying to make sense of what she was telling me (while also doing my darnedest to maintain decorum) took a lot of effort. Going over the conversation in my mind the next day, I wasn’t quite sure I’d understood correctly and so I emailed her, fessing up as to my state of mind at that time and asking for clarification.
I didn’t hear back from her until Monday. In the meantime I had requested that she prescribe an antibiotic as my left lung has been really boggy and my energy level exceptionally low. Obviously it could be my cancer but I was hoping that my symptoms might represent a concurrent infection. So Alice called to discuss and this also provided that opportunity for clarification.
I heard what I thought I heard, which is basically this. Evidently my biopsy was contracted and paid for by the sponsor of my trial, which meant that they also ‘owned’ one of the core samples. Another went to MGH, another to research, another was used to attempt a mouse model of my cancer.
As my tumor is highly lepidic (lace like in its spread) it is difficult to biopsy. And, as it turned out, the samples that Alice had access to actually had no viable cancer cells for molecular testing. So she asked the sponsor if she could have some of me back and they–graciously–said yes.
The hope is that this last sample will hold the holy grail and will provide some information useful to guiding my next treatment option.
If it doesn’t, we might have to consider another biopsy. That is, unless my friend the mouse (sorry little guy, I had no idea) grows my tumor, in which case the mouse will be biopsied.
In the meantime we must rely on how I am feeling in combination with a scan two weeks hence in order to assess the speed at which my cancer seems to be progressing. Given the change in histology, there is the distinct possibility that it will now be more aggressive. I hoped there might be a silver lining here, as more aggressive cancers are typically more responsive to chemotherapy, but Alice did not feel that would be true in my case 😦 Always trying to look on the bright side, I am.
Oh–and at the end of our conversation on Monday Alice asked, on behalf of one of her other patients, about the steps required to apply for a medical marijuana card. Discussing this all later with my nurse practitioner (who found the entire episode highly amusing) I told her that given the fact I was able to help Alice, we could consider my personal research as community service. 😉
And, on another bright note, I am feeling significantly better–I believe the antibiotic was exactly what I needed.
ps: check out this great Health Stories Project article about my friend and fierce fellow advocate Andrea Borondy Kitts. I get to play a small cameo 🙂