The word from the lab looking for the PD-1 protein in my biopsy is that there weren’t enough cells (cancerous or otherwise) for a thorough analysis. If it is determined that enough tissue was ‘banked’ after the biopsy, a sample will be resubmitted. Dr. Shaw is not particularly optimistic.
So, the plan for the moment is to watch and wait. We will rescan in November and as long as I don’t become significantly more symptomatic, my situation will be reassessed at that time. In lieu of a PD-1 antibody, I could potentially return to one of the ALK inhibitors which I previously benefitted from: LDK378 or Crizotinib—although as the LDK is still in trial, I’m not sure how that would work. Chemo remains an option but given the slew of side effects, I would say it is the least attractive choice. What I’m really hoping is that I can hold out until the next ALK inhibitor comes to trial (rumored to be end of this year or beginning of next)—the timing could be just right for me.
In the meantime, my plate is plenty full. I’m looking for a place to live as well as a means of support. I realize that statement implies much and answers little; I’ve got a lot to process and when the time seems right, I will discuss this new chapter in my life.